Travel planning – the packing list

travel planning - the packing list

We’re in the middle of getting a lot of little things done and sorted, such as vaccinations and our packing list. We brainstormed what we knew from previous trips backpacking and hiking, got our friends’ packing list sent over and researched a little. I think most of it is common sense, trying to go minimalist and top that off with a few luxury items that one doesn’t really need but would make things so much more fun!

[UPDATE 04-2018: The below packing list has been updated after all the comments and feedback I received.]
[UPDATE 05-2018: Another update to include travel ice pack and birth control.]

I thought I’d share our current list to help anyone that wants to do something similar, but mostly, it is to get your input on what you think might be missing. I know quite a few people that have been travelling/backpacking for a longer period and would love your wisdom. Pretty please.

As I said the list below is still a work in progress until we have done some test packing. Also, I know that we don’t need a camera, a phone and an iPad/laptop. They have a purpose and I am still debating with myself if I’m going to take all of it or cut it by at least 1 device.

And ladies, what did you do for that time of the month? Did you pack it all upfront? Help a woman out!
[UPDATE 04-2018: I had a lot of feedback on this. I am still debating how I’ll do it and will experiment with a cup before travel upon recommendation of a friend who said that it worked well for her.]

Clothing & Shoes Toiletries and Medical Items Accessories Electronics Other items to pack
1x Rain/wind jacket
1x loose & light long sleeve top
1x loose & light long trousers
2x loose shorts (1 for sleeping)
2x tanks
3x t-shirts (1 for sleeping)
1x gym leggings
1x fleece jumper/cardigan
1x swim wear
2x bras
5x socks
5x underwear
1x dress
1x jeans
1x walking shoes/trainers
1x flip flops/sandals
Moisturiser
Shampoo and shower solid bar
Lip balm
Solid deodorant
Toothbrush & toothpaste
Contact lenses & solution & case
Hairbrush & ties
Tiger balm (small)
Tampons, sanitary towels, pantyliners for a couple of months (maybe cup)
Wet wipes
Lotion
Toilet paper (1 roll)
Sun screen
6x Bug repellent (50% Deet)
Hand sanitizer
Fingernail clipper & file
Voltarol
Birth Control
Sarong/ light scarf
Sunglasses
Hat
1x earrings (I could lose)
Buff
Passport & visas
Vaccination cards
Passport photos
Day backpack
Money belt/bra pouch
Ziplock bag (2x)
Travel towel (alt. Turkish bath towel)
Laundry detergent sheets
Ear plugs
Eye mask
Mosquito net/masking tape
Refillable water bottle
2x Padlock & bike lock (combination)
Credit cards
2x copy of all docs (send to mums and accessible online)
Book
2x Notebook & pen
Travel clothesline
Sleeping bag liner
Dry bags
Ambient light
Wallet (bare minimum)
Travel insurance doc & details
Emergency paper in money belt (contact details, passport #, insurance number)
Neck pillow

[UPDATE 05-2018] I attached the list above also as a pdf document in case it’s helpful for you and you find it easier having it on paper to cross things off as you pack.

14 Comments

1. farah
    29 March 2018

https://herpackinglist.com/ πŸ˜‰

1. Isabell Schulz
      29 March 2018

Thanks. I shall have a look

2. farah
    29 March 2018

water disinfecting tablets. saved me a couple times in guatemala … but if youre always gonna close to bottles water than maybe not….

1. Isabell Schulz
      29 March 2018

Yes, good one. Thanks

3. farah
    29 March 2018

maybe just a pair of flip flops to relax? the single most useful footgear ive ever had backpacking was my pair of fivefingers

1. Isabell Schulz
      29 March 2018

We’re thinking about sandals that are bit more robust. Do you think that is useful? Or would you still opt for flip flops instead?

4. farah
    29 March 2018

chaffing stick …. for them hikes or long walks in heat
    microfiber towels, so they dry fast even in humid conditions

ok i stop now

1. Isabell Schulz
      29 March 2018

Ok updated the list. Towel is already on there. Thanks and feel free to keep going πŸ™‚

5. Cary Gordon
    29 March 2018

It depends on where you are going. For my mega India trip (December – February), I skipped cold weather gear, and had a selection of lighter layers. My basic formula was three of everything, and I stretched to 4 for underwear. I have quick-drying gear, and three would have been fine. I can’t imagine two sets of swimwear, but bikinis are small, so…

I skipped water purification tablets and carry a UV water purifier. I prefer Ultrathon, a very effective Deet-free mosquito repellent.

aI always carry a Z-Pak (Azithromycin) antibiotic regime (usually 3 x 500mg), just in case. I have had occasion t use it. Ondansetron is another emergency standby, and effectively deals with very severe nausea. Imodium or local equivalent is also a must. If these aren’t enough, I also have emergency insurance, which in the worst of cases, will cover an airlift.

I bought a very cool wire mesh backpack security device. It was about a kilo that I could have lived without. I never used it. I would be happy to send it to you, if you pay shipping.

My backpack and computer bag meet the requirements for international cabin luggage, so I don’t carry anything, such as a leatherman, that can’t be carried on.

I am a little excessive in the electronics department. I always carry a surge-buster, as I have encountered some very odd and occasionally dangerous wiring. I carry a tiny router that can extend wifi or provide it from a wired connection. I use VPN service everywhere. I carry a modest size USB battery.

I have a Google Pixel 2 phone, which in the US can be had with Google Project Fi. That provides phone and IP in 135 countries, and was often preferable to hotel wifi. That phone can also connect to the router to provide a local network. I carry an iPhone 5S, and by a local SIM. It is a lot easier and cheaper that it used to be to do this, and having a local number is often essential for things like Ola Cab in India. It also makes it a lot easier to book a train ticket.

1. Isabell Schulz
      29 March 2018

Brilliant, thank you Cary

6. Natalie
    30 March 2018

Hey, remember to take a pen, you’ll be surprised at how often you’ll find yourself needing one (for filling in landing cards et al). Spare plastic bags are also super useful. Not sure I saw head torch in there, but also a really good thing to have. And laundry bag + a small bag of washing powder will also likely come in handy. Enjoy!

1. Isabell Schulz
      30 March 2018

Pen and torch are on the list. Why would you recommend a head torch over a normal torch?
      Washing powder is missing. Thanks!

7. Natalie
    31 March 2018

No worries! If you’re somewhere without electricity it’s easier with the head torch as it keeps your hands free to do whatever else you need to do (especially useful for bathroom breaks πŸ™‚

8. […] Travel planning – the packing list […]